Sunday, February 8, 2015

5 Items Needed to Become a Travel Writer

Yesterday, I talked about my path to becoming a travel writer. Today, I want to focus more on the items needed to become a successful travel copywriter. 

I have done a lot of research on freelance copywriting, and after a lot of thought, I have decided to specialize in travel copywriting. Below, I've listed the top five necessities for a travel writer.

1. Knowledge. This one may seem silly, but having the knowledge necessary to write well is a must. You need to work hard at being a good writer. Do research; buy books; attend conventions. Follow travel writers' blogs, and listen to their advice. Believe it or not, they won't lead you down the wrong path. 

While knowledge is thought to be free, it's really not. You still have to pay to buy the books that aren't available online or at your local library. You may even want to take it a step further and pay for online support through writing groups and/or programs. I recommend American Writers & Artists Inc. (AWAI) or The Barefoot Writer. Both organizations have great publications to help you succeed as a freelance copywriter. 



This is the latest edition of Barefoot Writer magazine.

2. Passport. It can take weeks for your application to process, so give yourself a few months to receive this. It also can be costly, so make sure you budget this in.

Getting or renewing a passport will cost you under $200.00--more if you need rushed shipping or servicing. Getting this right away will save you from these additional fees. Here's more information on getting your passport.


Image found on Google. Photo cred here.


3. Backpack luggage. You know the ones. If you're going to be a travel writer, you need to learn to pack well, and you aren't going to want to lug around heavy luggage. Everything for your trip should fit on your back. My tip is to get one that has a separate bag within it for electronics. If you are flying, you'll be checking your backpack, but you don't want to leave your electronics behind. Try finding a luggage that has a separate, removal compartment for these instances. (Also, when traveling, you're going to leave your bag in your room, but being a writer, you'll want to lug around your laptop.)

Backpack luggage can be tricky to find. You want something that's good quality, because ideally, you'll be using it a lot. Eagle Creek has some great choices for under $300.00. Personally, I am saving for Switchback 26, which is $365.00.



This is the Switchback 26. The front part shown is a separate backpack.


4. Laptop. My recommendation is a light, thin laptop that will easily fit in your bag and won't take up much space. Remember: Your plan is to carry everything on your back, so make it light! I currently have a 17" laptop that isn't on the lighter side, so I'll be saving for a new one.

Purchasing a laptop can be very costly. You'll likely end up spending at least $1,000.00 on it once you add your writing and antivirus programs. I'm an avid PC user, and I often shop Dell. I've used an online feature to build my laptop, and it will cost $830.00 for the features I've selected. There were additional discounts applied that may not be available once I actually purchase it, though.


Photo cred here.


5. Camera. I know nothing about cameras, but I will before I go to the Swiss Alps! (If you have no idea what I'm talking about, read this post.) I'm looking to purchase a digital single-lens reflex camera (DSLR). I'm relying on Google searches, word-of-mouth, and store employees to lead me in the right direction. My tip is to get one that's easy to use (especially if you're a first-time DSLR user) and has a strap. You want it ready to shoot at a moment's notice.
I've looked at the cameras from stores like Best Buy. In my opinion, a Nikon D3200 seems great for beginners, but if you have insider knowledge on DSLR cameras, please comment below. I'd love to read your thoughts.



This is the camera I'm looking at purchasing. Links are above.


So what are the costs for the above? It can vary, but I've listed the average prices I've found through my own personal research.

The cost breakdown starts at around $2,000.00 and is as follows:
  1. Knowledge costs as much as you're willing to spend. You can purchase a subscription to AWAI and Barefoot Writer for under $100.00. However, if you want to learn more, you'll need to spend more. Books, subscriptions, writing groups, etc. can all add up, but it is worth it. (And it would be a tax write-off! Check back later for another post on the benefits of tax write-offs for freelancers.)
  2. Your passport will cost under $200.00 (without rush shipping). 
  3. A good set of luggage will cost around $250.00 - $500.00.
  4. A laptop will cost around $800.00 - $2,000.00.
  5. A starter camera will cost around $500.00 - $1,500.00
With that being said, what's on your list of necessities for your copywriting path? Comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment