Saturday, February 7, 2015

Becoming a Travel Writer

In January 2015, I attended my final graduate school residency. While there, I began soul-searching. I've always had the personality of a planner, and now I was without plan. I needed to know what I was to do with my life now that I was no longer a student. 

I thought about what made me happy. I didn't want an office job; I didn't necessarily want to teach (for political reasons more than anything). I just wanted to write. Unfortunately, I couldn't just quit my job. I have bills (*cough, cough* student loans, sigh) to pay.

So I decided to dive into freelance writing--something that could easily be done while still working a day job. I have already been freelance editing since March 2013, and before that, I was working as an editor for several publishing companies since 2011. (And to go back further, I have been writing--I mean really writing--since 2009.) I own Narrative Ink Editing LLC, an independent editing company that targets independent authors. But that's where the majority of my freelancing stops. Sure, I've done volunteer writing and editing work for local businesses and nonprofits, but that was just a hobby.

Now, it was time to make this a business. 

I did a lot of research, joined several online copywriting groups (the kind where expertise over critiquing is shared), and started a creative writing group with some friends from graduate school.

My research led me to one conclusion: There are thousands of copywriting markets, and those who reach success tend to choose only a few. Specializing in a certain type of copy can bring your freelancing career to a level of success you never thought you'd reach.

I enjoy writing about so many things: traveling; writing and editing; marketing; literature; animal rights; human rights; education; organic and DIY lifestyles; fitness and diets; movies, music, and media entertainment; history; and sports. And while I will likely write about all of those things at one point in my career, I really needed to narrow down my list to just a few. That way, I could become an expert in my field. 

I chose traveling, writing/editing, and social media marketing.

I couldn't ever stop freelance editing and marketing. I have an established business and clientele, and I love what I do. I also couldn't ever stop writing, but I have room to grow in that aspect. I could blog more to establish a greater following, I could self-publish short stories or how-to books, and I could submit my novels to agents for publication with major publishers. 

To me, breaking into the writing world doesn't seem like work, so the additional steps needed to become a full-time freelancer are worth it.

I have been traveling since I was fifteen (I actually spent my sweet sixteen in London!), so it wasn't difficult to decide to pursue travel copywriting. I love visiting new places, understanding new cultures, and exploring the human existence. Some would argue the traveler in me is what led me to become a writer. Perhaps they're right. After all, inspiration for stories is everywhere.

Once I decided I wanted to commit to travel writing, I did more research, purchased some books on the topic, and started querying publications. I sent out emails this past Thursday, and I already had a few bites in my email on Friday morning. Not too bad for a "beginner."

Opening the emails from editors requesting articles was great, but not the best thing that's happened to me so far this week. Today, I had a phone "interview" with a publication that focuses on women travelers. They publish things like experiences women have when traveling alone or things women wish they knew before traveling to a particular place or the best places a woman can travel to alone and still feel safe. 

This publication was a godsend. I was approved to pitch and write articles for their publication, but that's not even the best part. This publication hosts annual writing retreats all around the world. In fact, today, they just returned from a week in Costa Rica. On June 6, they'll be in Tuscany, and on June 13, they'll be in Venice. But the best part is where they'll be on June 20--because I'll be there, too!

I was approved to go to the Swiss Alps, Switzerland for their annual writing retreat! There, we'll spend hours participating in writing workshops, where we'll write, critique, and brainstorm ideas for things we'll write later. We'll hike, meditate, and have yoga classes in the Swiss Alps. We'll go on daily excursions, including hiking Schilthorn, boating on Lake Brienz, and visiting Trummelbach Falls.

Below, I've included some images of the places I'll see while in Switzerland, but just so you know, I do not own these images, nor do I claim to have any ownership of them. I found these images using a Google search. If you'd like to see more images of the Swiss Alps, visit here




Here's an image of the Swiss Alps in the summer. View more here.



View from the top of Schilthorn. Learn more here. 



This is Lake Brienz. Photo cred here. 



Here's one waterfall at Trummelbach Falls. Learn more here.


Just in case you forgot my disclaimer above, I want to reiterate that I do not own the rights to the images above. Below each image is a link to lead you to the owner of that image.


Tomorrow, I'll blog about the five items necessary to become a travel writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment