Friday, January 30, 2015

Education is Dying

Our education system is failing. There. I said it.

A few months ago, my nephew informed me that his school is no longer teaching cursive as part of its curriculum. I was baffled. How are children supposed to sign their names when they become adults? A squiggly line? Flowery initials? 

When he then shared that they are contemplating not teaching the Holocaust, I just about screamed. I took a course in undergraduate university on the Holocaust, specifically literature of the Holocaust, and it was by far the most valuable, life-changing course I have ever taken. To think that students won't even learn about the Holocaust, the genocide of SIX MILLION Jews, is disturbing.

More recently, I've read comments from Facebook friends and articles posted by major publications that believe college professors are under-worked and over-paid. In my state, Governor Walker has proposed a THREE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLAR cut to the University system. You read that correctly: 300 MILLION.

Many tell me my experience in undergraduate university is not the typical student's experience. Perhaps you're right. After all, I did have amazing professors for both my undergraduate and graduate school careers. And in all honesty, it saddens me to see that they are only getting paid between $34,000 and $50,000 per year. Only three made more than that--and those three only made more because of their additional job requirements (They are Deans of programs.).

Before I lose you, let me answer your immediate question: Are there university professors who are over-paid? Very likely. However, professors tend to be on a pay scale that considers their degree (the higher the degree, the higher the pay), their position in the industry (is Stephen King teaching a course on writing horror?), and their tenure status. Someone with a PhD will be paid more than someone with an MA. Someone who makes millions of dollars in book sales each year will be paid more to teach creative writing courses than someone without publications. Typically, this is how it works.

News/Talk recently published an article about teachers and their inability to work hard for their salaries (sarcasm--on my end, not theirs). You can read "Wait, HOW Many UW System Employees Make More than Wisconsin's Governor?" here. 

My first issue has to do with the title. You're damn right some make more than Walker. (Excuse my language, and know this is the only swear word in the post.) THEY HAVE A DEGREE! He doesn't even have an Associate's. Or a certification! If I held an advanced degree (an MA or higher), and I didn't make MORE than someone without a degree, I'd be upset. Let me tell you a little secret...

People obtain advanced degrees to advance in their careers!

Shocking, I know. (It doesn't hurt to remind you that Gov. Walker earned almost $150,000 last year. It would take just under five of my undergraduate professors' salaries to equal his salary.)

Let's get to the gritty details of this ridiculous article:

  1. This article specifically targets UW-Madison faculty. UW-Madison is a top university in the United States. (It was ranked 13th BEST public college in 2014 by US News & World Report.) In order to work there, you must have a PhD and be prominent in your field. Of course doctors are making a six-figure salary. Are all teachers making this? NO! In fact, university teacher salaries are public information. Simply Google "[insert full school name] teacher salaries." The correct website is usually in the top five choices. This way, you'll never not know what the pay scale is. As I mentioned before, teachers at schools that aren't necessarily ranked in the top ten (or whatever number...) are NOT making six figure salaries. I've included the salary range for my UW-Parkside professors above.
  2. This article comments on how one professor didn't even teach. Only someone inexperienced would say completing student theses is not teaching. For my undergraduate and graduate theses, I worked one-on-one with professors. The work and time they invested was equivalent to that of a course. 
  3. This article says teachers need to teach more courses. This one made me laugh. Let me break it down for you: A full-time teacher teaches three to four courses. Most UW-Parkside professors are teaching five courses. I know professors who also lead student organizations. Leading one student organization is equivalent to teaching one course. It's not difficult to find a professor then "teaching" six to seven courses. Professors are easily working 60-70 hours during their seven day work week (yes, they tend to work all seven days). Sure, they're "getting paid" for only eight months of work, but when you consider the time spent during the semester, they are actually working the same amount of hours you're working at your 9-5 job twelve months a year. And believe it or not, many professors opt to also teach in the summer and during the winter break. If a professor at UW-Parkside teaches during the one winter term and the three summer terms, then the only month that professor doesn't teach is August.
  4. This article complains that teachers are only in classroom 15 hours a week. You're right. For one class, the average classroom time is three hours a week. Multiply those three hours by the five courses the teacher is teaching, and you have yourself at 15 hours a week. But then what? They go home, spend the evening with their families? Not even close. Full-time teaching positions have a required number of office hours. When I was applying this past month, colleges were requiring 25 office hours per week. We're now up to 40 hours per week "in the office." Unfortunately, it doesn't stop there. Grading and class preparation still need to be completed, because student meetings filled all of the weekly office hours. Hence why teachers work at least 60-70 hours per week during the semester. 
I realize there are likely professors out there "abusing" the system, but this happens in any field, not just teaching. Cutting funding to the point where schools and university systems are considering closing their doors is frightening. But this leads me back to my original thought.

Education is dying. And we're not doing anything about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment