Sunday, December 21, 2014

The Never-Ending Battle: Traditional vs Self-Publishing

With my debut novel nearly complete, I've been contemplating whether or not to pursue traditional publishing (landing an agent, editor, publisher, and contract) or self-publishing (selling my work myself on websites such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, iBooks or in independent bookstores). 

There's no point in arguing that the traditional publishing market is a dying form and that self-publishing is steadily emerging. Both sides have pros and cons, but really, in my opinion, the better option is based on the writer. Self-published writers survive because of marketing, and often times, the marketing is done by the writer, not some fancy team the writer (or publisher) has hired. In self-publishing, the writer must have a knack for self-promotion--or the book will never reach its audience.

Thankfully, the negative connotation often associated with self-publishing is slowly diminishing, and more writers are turning toward this easier method of publication. The idea of making your own decisions is no longer the only perk. 

I know many successful traditionally published writers. I know only a handful who solely survive on their writing income. Most must (or choose to) also work a "day job." However, I could make the same argument for my self-published friends. I know many successful self-published writers. Some work. Others are financially stable and can write full-time. I have friends on both sides who have reached the success beginning writers dream of: making the bestselling lists, including New York Times and USA Today. It's not impossible. It's not easy, either.

You should never begin writing and publishing with the hope of becoming rich. Or famous. Or a bestseller. Making it in the publishing industry is a difficult battle, and finding that type of success, while not unheard of, in my experience, should not be the first goal on your list.

I've thought about traditional vs. self-publishing for a long, long time. I have decided on traditionally publishing. Then I've taken it back. I've decided on self-publishing. Then I changed my mind. It's a never-ending battle, really.

I've put together a breakdown of perks to help make my decision easier (or so I thought...). I realize there are more perks not listed below, but honestly, the list could potentially be just as never-ending as my decision process.



ACADEMIA
Being new to the academia world, my only real concern is my teaching career. Most tenure track positions require traditionally published sales. In the end, I suppose my decision will likely be based on that. Unless, of course, I do the opposite route and attempt to work solely as a freelancer.

Traditional Publishing: 1.
Self-Publishing: 0.


CONTROL
This is a huge perk to many writers in the self-publishing world. If you're one who likes to be in control, then self-publishing is definitely a route worth taking. Self-published writers can choose their cover art, publication date, publication platform(s), etc. Also, rather than only getting a three book deal with a publisher, you can choose how many books in your series will be published. 

Traditional Publishing: 1.
Self-Publishing: 1.*

*This perk deserves two points, but for fairness, I'm sticking with one point each section.



FINANCIAL SUCCESS
While many believe traditional publishing is more stable, one has to consider that royalties are unreliable. Most traditionally published writers tend to never know when their royalty checks will arrive, and most must rely on another source of income--or, in the very least, a great budget. On the other hand, self-published writers are able to track their sales and have scheduled dates payments are deposited into their accounts.

I've read many articles on this, and most agree that it's rare to sell enough copies to "buyout" (so to speak) the author's royalty check. And if that's the case, then the writer will only see that check for their work. The lucky ones will sell more copies than their royalty check covers, but when that happens, the return (to the author) on each copy sold is usually around 10%. Yikes! Most self-publishing "contracts" are up to 70%! 

Traditional Publishing: 1.
Self-Publishing: 2. 


MARKETING
I think this can fall under the CONTROL section, but I'm listing it on its own, because marketing is a big deal to all writers. Let's face it: you need marketing! Marketing is thought to come with traditional publishing, whereas marketing is an added cost for self-published writers. Most self-published writers market their own work to keep the costs low, but few who take that route reach an expansive audience. To reach success, self-published writers rely on word-of-mouth, bloggers, independent (indie) book stores, writing/reading conventions, and self-booked book tours. 

An article I've read about this topic had some interesting tidbits on marketing and how traditional publishing doesn't do as much marketing as writers are led to believe. Here's James Altucher's article on self-publishing. It's a good read!

Because marketing isn't necessarily part of the package when you take the traditional route, I'm giving this one to self-publishing.

Traditional Publishing: 1.
Self-Publishing: 3.


EDITING
I don't care if you're an author/editor extraordinaire. You still need a professional editor. Your brain works differently when you're a writer vs. when you're an editor, and you can't just turn it off. Meaning, if you wrote the book, you can only truly see it when wearing your writer glasses. YOU NEED SOMEONE ELSE TO LOOK AT IT. Promise. (Shameless self-promotion here: Visit my editing website if you're looking for an editor.) I'm an editor, and I still need someone to review my work. And I'm talking about someone who isn't my mom--or my beta reader. A serious writer needs a serious editor. Plain and simple.

With that being said, editing is a perk of traditional publishing, while writers who self-publish need to find their own. (Insert sad face.) That's a taxing task, but good freelance editors are out there. You just need to know where to look.

Traditional Publishing: 2.*
Self-Publishing: 3.

*My decision for this one is based solely on the fact that self-published authors must add editing as an extra expense, and since editing, plus a book cover, plus possible marketing assistance all adds up, it can be quite the burden.


DEADLINES
Don't we all hate deadlines? As a writer, they're hard to avoid. Though, they're more easily changed as a self-published writer. Sure, you make a commitment to your readers and/or your editor, but most self-published writers have a more relaxed writing schedule when compared to the deadlines of a traditionally published writer. After all, this lends back to the idea of control! As a self-published writer, you can write as much or as little as you want.

Traditional Publishing: 2.
Self-Publishing: 4.



BRAGGING RIGHTS
Traditionally published publications are all about bragging rights. Look! I have a shiny acceptance letter! Look! I have a pretty hardcover copy! Look! I have this whole shelf to myself in the store! Look! I'm in the public library! While most aren't relying on bragging rights, this section is the biggest reason writers lean toward traditional publications. I would love to say the above. I would love to see my novels on the bookshelf at some local big chain bookstore. But am I willing to give up the other benefits for just this one?

Traditional Publishing: 3.
Self-Publishing: 4.


Over the past few days, I have begun leaning one way. I plan to announce my decision in early 2015, so make sure you stop back!

No comments:

Post a Comment